Saturday, February 6, 2010

Petite Lookbook - Crazy for Paisley

It's no secret that J.Crew petite sizing irks me. Numerous posts have been done showcasing the ill fit... the saggy City Pant and Wool Stretch Jacket in 0P on AlterationsNeeded, and the frump-a-licious Skimmer Pant in 00p on Pint-Sized Musings, just to name a few. Despite all the confirmation that J.Crew is not for tiny petites, silly me ended up impulsively buying a dress on final sale. But worry not ... a quick trip to Hemmingway Tailors was all it needed!

Revealing...the J.Crew Terra Paisley Dress, post-alterations:
Dress: J.Crew Terra Paisley Shift in P0 (alterations : straps shortened, sides taken in, hemmed)
Sweater: Aqua Kids cashmere bolero in girls sz L
Shoes: Aldo satin Arnoldoa pumps (sold here)

This dress has proven to be ridiculously versatile - it looks nice as a "skirt" when peeking out under a black cardigan or jacket, it's classy with heels for dinner, and chic for a night out when worn with ankle booties.

Shop this look in petite-friendly sizes:

The Bold Patterned Dress
I looked long and hard online and couldn't find anything similar to the above dress! Bummer : ( Some other picks, though:

1. Nanette Lepore Exotic Shift Dress in 0 - so $$, I can only dream!
2. Ann Taylor Petite Patterned Sheath Dresses (in leopardgraphic or pink floral) in 00P

I have never tried on anything from Lily Pulitzer so I can't attest to the sizing, but I have a sinking feeling that it's not petite-friendly. I usually do not care for their bright and busy garments, but I rather like this classic sheath with gold lace. Have any petites tried this brand in size 0?


The Kiddie-Department Shrug
1. Nordstrom Girls Bolero Sweater in L or XL
2. Flowers by Zoe L/S Shrug in L or XL (no large sizes left online, but check Bloomies in-store)


I'm lovin' this little cashmere shrug from Aqua kids (Bloomingdales in-house line). Not bad for $30 something during their winter sale! I've been wearing it non-stop with all my higher-waisted dresses. I like digging for boleros or shrugs in the children's department, since the typical "short n' wide" fit issue doesn't apply!
 


Let's look at the dress again pre-alterations with baggy arm holes and shapeless waist and hips (see old post here). Oh...and is that the dreaded underarm flab I see peeking out of the arm holes?
 And after the ladies at Hemmingway did their magic:
 
The dress has a side zipper and side pockets, which complicates alterations. My tailors ended up taking the torso in along the two back darts, resulting in a larger front panel than back - oh well! The loose arm holes were surprisingly fixed by taking up each strap by an inch or so. As for the hem, this dress is intended to hit at the knee (per the J.Crew model pic), but I had it shortened so that the busy print would not overwhelm my frame.
 
Perfectly done - clean alterations both inside and out! Total cost: $40 including a 20% discount. Very hefty price for alterations alone, but I have no regrets since I've already worn this 3x in the past month!
I had been in a serious frenzy hunting for a printed silk sheath after seeing this little number by Nanette Lepore on ChloeConspiracy. How gorgeous is that outfit? The J.Crew find couldn't have come at a better time ... my bf was ready to bop me on the head if he heard me babble about "Chloe's NL dress" one more time.

I loved this dress so much I wore it to dinner the night I got it back. Here's a photo of it "in action." Silly bf could not stop stuffing his face with pork chops for one second : )
I'm very sorry for the delayed responses to comments and emails - they are much appreciated! After 13 hours of staring at small numbers on a comp, I just want to trudge back to the hotel and pass out, so I've been checking and responding on weekends. CFA books haven't even been cracked! I think I'm gonna make it a goal to post 1x a week...any suggestions or requests are welcome : )

No comments:

Post a Comment