Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Petite Lookbook - The Tailored Jumper

Happy Tuesday, readers : ) Today I am wearing my first Theory piece ever, which almost instantly spurred an ongoing and wallet-draining obsession. Thankfully there is a Theory outlet an hour from my house, so I have not yet had to pay the overpriced retail.

This jumper dress is so simple, but like many of their pieces, it is tailored to perfection. A size 0 fit me with no alterations needed, which was baffling at the time of discovery (2 years ago). Fellow petites should be sure to look for Theory dresses in stretchy fabric and numerical sizes. Their shirtdresses and dresses in letter sizing (P or TP is the smallest) fit quite generously and do not work for me.
 
Dress: Theory jumper in 0 (similar here in P00)
Blouse: Target Go International in juniors XS (similar here in PXXS)
Shoes: Tory Burch Sophie Wedge in 5.5 (sold here)

In other non-news ... I'm actually wearing "real" makeup! In addition to my plain-Jane routine of Bare Escentuals and black eyeliner, that is. Reading the beauty blogs of some of my lovely readers motivated me to try and glam up, but more on that later.  


I gave up tanning a while ago (my mother is  probably scowling right now as her worst fears have been confirmed) and am really starting to see the effects in photos. Sun does not shine often in Boston, so I would go about 2x a month in the colder months (aka 3/4 of the year). Go away, pale and sickly complexion! Go away, Winter!

Side anecdote - I've never really been one to embrace fair, milky white Asian skin as the epitome of beauty. I make sure to wear foundation and lotion with SPF, but other than that I love sun. Whenever I visited China in previous years, relatives would be horrified if I went outside on a sunny day without an umbrella. Strangers like hairdressers and sales associates would even openly comment: "oh, you would be so pretty...if only you were not so...dark." Last year when I visited, however, the reaction was sharply different. Ladies stopped me on the street asking how they could be "bronze" like me, and dudes who I didn't even know commented on how healthy I looked in comparison to the pale and ghastly female population. So there...the age old definition of Asian beauty is starting to evolve : P
This jumper is easily one of my most versatile work pieces. It's so easy to create different looks by switching up the blouse, adding tights, a pretty belt, etc. My only complaint (as with many Theory pieces) is that it's unlined and therefore rides up like crazy when worn with tights. I have yet to find a sleek petite-fitting slip skirt - got a regular one at Target but the cut is quote flowy and bunches up under my dresses.
Perfectly placed darts and waist line:
Thanks a ton to a reader (chanelsmypal) for the heads up on Bloomies' shoe sale. The display for these shoes was a ginormous size 10 so I was shocked when the SA came back with a 5.5 at over 50% off plus coupons : )  I love wedges since they tend to be more comfy than heels, plus they are much better at staying on with tights.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment