Sunday, February 14, 2010

Theory Outlet Fabion Jacket

...blazer, that is. When boyfriend blazers and jeans rolled around last year, I stayed far, far away. Over-sized, long and boxy blazer on a petite torso? Baggy and cuffed jeans (case in point) on shorter legs? Sounds to me like recipes for disaster.

If any petites are interested in hopping onto the menswear train (which, according to March fashion magazines, are here to stay for at least another season) it's important to keep it in moderation and in proportion to your size. Definitely stay within the petites department to ensure a shorter length and smaller fit. Tuxedo blazers are a little over the top for me, but a slightly boxier / longer wool blazer from Theory? I can entertain that thought. Did you say on sale for over 80% off? Well, I suppose I can try it on...
Jacket: Theory "Fabion" Jacket in 00
Top: Ann Taylor ruffle tank in womens XS (similar here)
Pants: Theory slim pants in 00 (waist taken in and hemmed) - similar here in 00

Naturally, Ann Taylor and Banana Republic each have a rendition of the boyfriend blazer. I find Ann Taylor's (click here) in the Tropical Wool suiting material to be too formal, although the ground pepper color is lovely. The length for the petite sizes is 25 inches, which would hit a little past my hips like a boyfriend blazer should. For reference, the length on my pictured blazer is only about 22 inches.

Banana Republic's version (click here) however, seems to be a more versatile choice. Reviewers complained about how small it runs...which is great news for petites! On sale and still available in size 00 and 0, but the length is not disclosed.



Love the thicker wool fabric and light gray color, but not digging the tiny lapel. It was $74 down from $415 at the Theory outlet, so I forgave this one flaw. I think I'm going to re-iron the lapel to make it longer and turn this into a one-button blazer:

I know this isn't a true boyfriend blazer (although my own bf immediately called it one), but it does embody hints of menswear. I tried to detract from the boxier cut by pairing the jacket with feminine details such as ruffles, pearls, and flowers. I also cuffed the stiff sleeves, and removed the HUGE shoulder pads that made me look wider than I was tall. And last but not least, a boxier top mandates skinny bottoms. I paired these with my slimmest work pants for business casual attire...
...and with leggings or skinny jeans and flats for casual wear.
Closeup...with Gap plaid triangle scarf (sold here - only $7.99 online and dirt-cheap in stores!)
Fellow petites - what do you think of the boyfriend trend, and how do you make it work for your stature? Do you prefer classic, sleek silhouettes (like me) to trendier cuts? 

PS - A yummy shabu meal to bring in the year of the tiger : )
Pictured - boneless short rib, fried tofu, assorted shellfish, calamari, enoki, and ample watercress

No comments:

Post a Comment