Monday, January 4, 2010

Theory Tweed Suit: Gratian Blazer and Joanie Skirt in "Lecture"

My first "outfit" post! I've been refraining from doing outfit or lookbook posts because, frankly, I don't really know how to style my stuff. I buy things that I think look nice on their own, and wear them plainly with basic tees and pumps. This leads to my fashion-related resolutions for the new year:

1. Learn how to accessorize and actually "style" my outfits.
Reading other blogs led me to realize how much my outfits desperately lack accessories and that fashionable punch. As of 2009, I owned merely 2 pairs of earrings (BR ones from here and the Chanel studs worn in this post), pearl necklaces "borrowed" from my mother, 4 handbags, and a closet full of mediocre shoes.

2. Write down and prioritize the items I am coveting. Save deliberately towards these items, and avoid impulse purchases.
At the top of this list - Chanel small gray classic flap with silver hardware.

3. No more splurge coats. 
I'd love to move to the West Coast in a few years or so, where my beloved coat collection would serve little purpose!

As these are resolutions that I'll be working on throughout the year, I wanted my first look to be a simple outfit that requires little styling. The Theory Lecture Gratian Jacket and Joanie Skirt which I bought in this post finally arrived, and together they make what is easily the most lovely and well-fitting suit I own. Each piece works as well on its own as they do together (readers will def. be seeing them as part of future outfits). The Lecture texture is unique without being too "different" for the business world.
Theory Lecture Gratian Jacket in 00 
Theory Joanie Skirt in 00
BR Monogram drape-neck silk tank in womens XS
J.Crew chiffon floral hair elastic turned pin
Aldo Arnoldoa Satin Pumps in 36 (35's fit much better)

The only alteration I need on this suit is a simple skirt hem, which should be about $10 since it is unlined (really, how does Theory get away with selling a thin, UNLINED skirt for $190??). In the pics I have it temporarily pinned up 2 inches - does it look like a good length? After a big meal, the skirt in size 00 is *almost* too tight, but I know a 0 will sit too low on my waist/hips for my tastes.

 
As for the tank, BR Monogram unfortunately only comes in regular women sizes so I had to have about an inch taken in on each side. It cost about $15 to alter since it is 100% silk. I really love the Monogram line with its nicer materials, design, and workmanship, without too much of an increase in price from regular BR stuff. This top was on sale for only $25 or so; I especially like how the wide neckline drapes delicately.
  
I've been hunting for a pretty flower pin for the past month, but it was hard since I refused to spend more than $10. I finally found this chiffon hair elastic with jeweled center at the J.Crew outlet for only $4. It came in fushchia and green too but of course I chose basic black. After lots of struggling, I managed to remove the glue-gunned hair elastic, and replaced it with a safety pin secured by a piece of felt - voila! J.Crew now makes these with both hair clip and pin attached - why didn't they start doing that sooner?

No comments:

Post a Comment