Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year, new...

skill? Hobby? Insanity driving activity?I received a sewing machine from my mom for my birthday last month. I haven't used a sewing machine since home ec one year in high school (not necessarily with an enormous amount of success at that time let me add) but thought it might be a good idea to have one. I'm tall and most of my pants benefit from re-hemming so that I don't sport a less than stylish puddle jumping ankle length, if for nothing else.Here's the problem... (not withstanding the fact that apparently I can not cut or sew in a straight line) I like fabric... no, I REALLY like fabric... I spent an hour in the fabric store selecting (expensive) beautiful designs to make a couple of cute little projects. Now don't start thinking that I'm going to start making clothing (although I threatened the hubster that if he makes one more crack about how me having a sewing machine is the beginning of the end I will start making him shirts...to wear to work...with prints...) but I did discover that Amy Butler's website has a bunch of adorable, free patterns. So I embarked on sewing up some business card holders! The fuchsia holder has the most adorable polkadotted lining. Although everything seems to turn out slightly crooked, I'm really happy with the end results. I need to be patient for an accent bead in the kiln to cool so I can finish off the fuchsia card holder but my Robin's Egg glaze was a perfect match for the terracotta and teal fabric.

So my dilemma is how I can stay away from buying more fabric, especially since I don't have anything else I need to sew right now! There were some lovely throw pillow patterns though...

No comments:

Post a Comment