Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Petite Do or Don't? Gap Kids Dandelion Brocade Miniskirt - $19.99

This just came in the mail yesterday and I'm pretty undecided about whether or not to keep it. On one hand it looks a little childish (my boyfriend winced when I took it out of the box) - you know you're in the kiddie department when there is ELASTIC on the waistband! I would also need help figuring out what occasion or even season to wear this in ... can't figure out how to make this Winter-appropriate, so I'm thinking Spring?

On the other hand, I really like the colors and I think the fabric is unique. The pleats and pockets are also plenty cute. This skirt first caught my attention here, but all the larger kids sizes were already sold out. I called my local store with the style #, and they located some larger sizes at a different store. Shipping is a flat $6 from other stores (or free for Luxe members).

In person, the material is not as shiny as it looks in the photo below. The metallic threads were extra-reflective due to my camera flash.

I think this skirt has potential to look more "mature" if styled correctly. The base is textured ivory jacquard with embroidered dandelions in taupe, gray, and silver metallic threads. I have it paired in the pic above with some neutrals - Aldo Cythia dark taupe heels and a stone-colored long J.Crew cotton cardigan. The bf was pleasantly surprised and commented on how the skirt transformed into "casual chic." Similar cardigan and pumps sold here:

J.Crew at ShopStyle

Click "Read More" to see sizing information.

I used to always go for a kids size 12 without any hesitation, but now things have changed. Not only have I become more modest (bye-bye abercrombie kids micro minis!), but kids sizes in certain brands have shrunken considerably! I specifically asked the Gap saleslady to locate a store with both a 12 and 14, because I had no idea what size I needed.

Please excuse the lighting which is all over the place - poor lighting kills pretty colors and textures!
Front View - The kids size 12 (left) vs. the kids size 14 (right):

Side View - Size 12 (left) vs. Size 14 (right):

Back View - Size 12 (left) vs. Size 14 (right):

The difference is only slightly noticeable in the pics, but the 14 was larger in the waist, hips, and length. If I end up keeping this skirt, 14 is probably the size for me.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I think someone needs to tell me to get out of the kids' department before I go overboard : ) The sales associate who rang up my order over the phone was shocked (and possibly appalled) that this skirt was for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment