Tuesday, January 12, 2010

J.Crew sizes 00 womens and 0P... have any petites tried?

**This post has an update here**

I was shopping with my coworkers last night and we stopped to admire these super cute J.Crew printed cotton shorts. The smallest size was a womens 0, which I didn't try on, although the waist looked decently small. I went online to find them ... and couldn't.  Turns out I overlooked them because they looked so bland in the photo! I swear these are cuter in person:

Closeup of the pattern (they had several patterns in the store, but only 1 pattern available so far online):

I almost jumped a little with delight when I saw that these shorts came in size 00 online. I would have never dreamed of wearing J.Crew womens bottoms as they normally look quite large, but these are shorts, so the potential fit really piqued my curiosity. Unfortunately, I didn't love the print (where are the other prints I saw in store??) and the price was a hefty $58, thus I continued my search for other 00 items ...

Click "Read More" for more potentially petite picks.



Monochromatic Dotted Jacquard Pencil Skirt in womens 00 ... *loves* :

I don't even like polka dots...but J.Crew managed to make this look rather sophisticated in a neutral oat-beige color. The jacquard adds just enough sheen. For petites however, even if this skirt fits in the waist, a hem job would definitely still be necessary. Too bad it's so expensive.

3 inch Chino sz 00, in 4 versatile colors (my fave being the light amethyst) :

These shorts come in the same colors in 3 inch, 5 inch, 7 inch, and 9 inch. I'm not a chino short kind of girl, and 3 inches is probably still too long for my tastes (I love short shorts!), but I wanted to point out how size 00 is available ONLY in the 3 inch. I think J.Crew has recognized that "normal" women petite enough to fit in a size 00 do not have mile long legs and will not look good in shorts with a 9 inch inseam. Now if only brands like Rock & Republic and True Religion would recognize that ... (I had to alter off no less than a FOOT of denim).
 
So now, my pressing petite sizing question: what's smaller at J.Crew ... womens 00 or petite 0? Apparently, per the size chart below, a 0p is marginally smaller than a womens 00 by .5 inches at the waist and hips. I remember AlterationsNeeded tried on a J.Crew 0p suit in her post and I got a great laugh out of it, but I am 10 lbs "meatier" so I still hold hope : )

The size chart also says that a petite 00 exists, but I rarely see it, and when I do it's in something I'm not interested in. For example: Perfect Pencil Skirt in 00p (great sleek shape, but only in "cinammon"?), Petite Skimmer Pant in 00p (the slate color is actually not bad at all ... but I feel like chinos are too "white-girl" and "yacht-club" for me, even if they are skinny, which I looove). Nada for 00p in the suiting, dresses, or blouses, so boo J.Crew! 

If any fellow petites out there have tried either a J.Crew size 0p, 00p, or womens 00 recently and would like to share her fit experiences and height/weight for reference, that would be mucho appreciated!

**Addendum (see comments)**
J.Crew Silk/Wool blend paisley dress in pewter, sz 0p. I was planning on shortening the hem to above the knee and wearing in the winter with black tights and in the spring with light gray or nude pumps. Sigh! I will be so sad if it's too costly to alter / not alterable.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment