Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bargain Finds at Bloomingdales Pre-sale

If you have the chance this week, check out the sale racks at Bloomingdales' women and kids departments. This Thursday (5/27), they are having 40% off already-reduced items plus additional 20% off with coupon, but they are pre-sale-ing this weekend. I didn't have a coupon, but the SA was happy to give me both discounts upon being asked.

At my store alone there were 3 racks of Theory sale merchandise, plus plenty of contemporary womens' stuff. With an extra 40% + 20% off tacked on, the prices weren't bad at all...so go soon before everything is picked over! My tip for petites is to not look only for your tiny size. If you find something you like, more often than not the SA can help locate your size at another store.

I wasn't planning on stopping by the kids department, but racks of "premium" white denim caught my eye. Petites who wear up to a sz 25 can probably fit in kids jeans (they go up to 14 or 16), but may need a hem job.. This is what I tried on:

1. True Religion Girls Julie skinny jeans, kids sz 12. $106 $33.07. These are currently on Bloomies online for full retail price. Click here for the adults version.

Pros: I love the weight and stretch of TR jeans - I already own the same style and size in dark denim, so I knew that I would like these.The length was good, and could probably accommodate someone 2 inches taller than me.

Cons: My biggest issue with their kids jeans - and this is a biggie - is that they use a SNAP button closure! It looks just like a real button, but I guess snap is easier for little kids. I'm guessing the inseam was 29-30 inches, based on how much I had to cuff.

Continue reading for more sale finds...

2. 7 for all Mankind Girls Roxanne skinny jeans in kids sz 12, $99 $29.80 after discounts. Click here for the adults version.

Pros: skinny tapered leg was slimming; back pockets made my tush look good.  

Cons: the denim was thin and felt like a mix between twill and denim. I could see the front pockets through the fabric. The waist was very snug and would be too tight on me if the pants shrunk at all.

After much deliberation and nagging my disinterested boyfriend for his opinion, I ended up with the True Religions. I just felt that the denim was of higher quality and the overall fit was more comfortable than the 7's. 

3. J Brand Girls 12" Skinny Jeans in dark denim, kids sz 12. $110 $36.96 after discounts. I tried on these as well as the J.Brand denim leggings ($110 $26.40 after discounts - still full price on Crewcuts!) but the regular denim ones were the winner.
I've been interested in J.Brand ever since spotting the adult 10" skinnies on AlterationsNeeded and A.Fashion.Deliberation. When I saw that these were the 12," I didn't think they would be narrow enough, but they are actually quite skinny (hopefully I remember to keep these out of the dryer). My legs look stubby in the fitting room pics, but I think these jeans will look great with some heels.

All in all, I ended up with 2 pairs of designer denim for a great price. I've paid full price before for True Religion kids, as they were already substantially cheaper than the adults line. I've been wearing them for 3+ years and still love them.

Other items that I loved, but ended up passing on:

1. Theory Maryelia Skirt - still full price here at Barneys, but only $68 after discounts at Bloomingdales. There was only sz 0 at my store, and a $14 shipping charge to get sz 00 from another store (shipping is free for items over $150). The SA said this skirt nearly sold out the first week it arrived. I hope a fellow petite picks this up ... I love the wide waistband and pleats. Here is the style # for easier locating:

2. Theory Caprine Jacket as seen here on AlterationsNeeded. I just love it on her! The "Crunch" material was crisp and lightweight, perfect for warmer weather. It was just $140 something (was $415) after sales despite still being full price on the Theory website. It was hard passing on this, but I have too many black jackets. Definitely have your SA search for this if you are interested!

3. Aqua kids brushstroke dress with 100% silk skirt, sz L. $29 after all discounts. I'm always on the lookout for kids clothing made with nicer materials, like silk or cashmere. The fit of a Large was comfortable and lightweight. The poly/spandex top has little white and navy stripes, and the silk skirt has a colorful brushstroke print. Those who want longer length can probably size up to XL.
Happy shopping! Feel free to ask me any questions about sale info if you are interested in any of the above items.

No comments:

Post a Comment