Thursday, May 20, 2010

Review: Petite Suiting Under $500 - Theory sz 00

This is my last post in the petite-friendly suiting series. I rushed to put this up today, because there are two Theory sales going on this weekend - rare! The most classic suit from this brand retails for about $620 (jacket + pants), but this weekend you can grab it for $465 after sales.

Since the items are still quite expensive, my picks from this sale are Theory's most classic items in their popular "Tailor" fabric. They make new items in this fabric season after season, so it's the perfect choice for an investment suit. The suit is currently available in 4 colors:

1. Gabe B. Blazer in sz 00
2. Max C trouser pants in sz 00 (view here on AN post-alterations)
3. Betty Sheath Dress in sz 0 (view here on DiaryofaShopper and here again styled differently - #15)

And just for fun, a slim work pant that I loved here on Stylepint: Theory Ibbey Pant in sz 00.

Now for my review:
Jacket: Theory Branden Jacket, sz 00
Pants: Theory Mark B pants, sz 00
Blouse: Ann Taylor sz XXSP
Patent pumps: Nine West sz 6

Continue reading for more...


Alterations done: sleeves shortened ($24), pants hemmed and legs slimmed ($15). 

These pics were taken a few weeks ago (I miss you, long wavy hair!) when I was making my blog banner. Most readers know of my love for Theory by now, so I will keep this review brief.

Pros: Great fabrics that I can wear over and over again without steaming/ironing, tiny blazers, and impeccable tailoring. I've had coworkers who are completely disinterested in fashion compliment me on my basic black Theory pieces. Jackets in sz 00 and sheath dresses in sz 0 usually fit me perfectly.

Cons: Length (the brand is not made for petites, so a pants hem is a must and sleeve shortening a costly maybe), price, and frequent lack of lining. I have several items from Theory that really need a lining (itchy tweeds, wool, etc) but don't have one.

Consensus: Despite all the "cons," Theory is my favorite suiting brand out of all the ones I reviewed. In person, the quality and cut are noticeably better than BR or AT, and most definitely Express. Also, even though I have to hem off what looks like a foot of fabric, the fit still comes out looking normal. To avoid alterations, look for items that look "shrunken" or cropped on the models.

I wanted to show how the pants fit pre-leg slimming alterations. The Mark B cut I am wearing is similar to the Max C, except with wider legs. I couldn't decide if I liked a boot cut or straight leg, but luckily I bought two pairs of the same pants, and had my tailor take in one : ) Above photos are the straight leg; below is the original boot cut. The waist was perfect, but something funny is going on in the thighs:

Other Theory shoppers out there - what are some of your fave pieces? Any qualms or dislikes about the fit/quality? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment