Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Finding the Right Skirt Length (Petite Edition)

In your opinion, which of the skirt lengths below look best on me?

A. 2 inches past the knee; B. at the knee; or C. 2 inches above the knee:
Please, please excuse the zombie expressions and gnarly hair in this post. I couldn't bother to get dolled up for these photos.

A while back, one of my readers (thanks Elaine!) emailed me a link about determining one's ideal skirt length. The formula seems complicated, but the concept is simple: the most visually appealing skirt length shows 50% skirt and 50% leg. I will now walk through the "formula" ...


 This will be the cover of my first book, titled "How to Look 10 Years Old."
Formula to find your ideal skirt length:

Step 1. Measure from your hipbone (that protruding bone) to the middle of your kneecap. This is A. For me, A = 17 inches.

Step 2. Measure from the middle of your kneecap to the middle of your anklebone. This is B. For me, B = 13 inches.

Step 3. A-B = discrepancy between your leg proportions. For me, this is 17-13 = 4 inches. 

Step 4. Divide the number from Step 3 by 2. For me, this is 4 / 2 = 2 inches. 2 inches is my "Magic Number."

Now, if you have short calves (A is greater than B), your ideal skirt length should be kneecap minus Magic Number. Per this formula, my ideal skirt length is 2 inches above the knee.

If you have long calves (A is less than B), your ideal skirt length should be kneecap plus Magic Number.

Do I personally follow this formula? Loosely, maybe. There are some "variables" that the formula does not factor in, for example:

- Heels. 3 inch heels elongate the lower leg visually by at least 2 inches.
- High-waisted skirts versus low-waisted skirts. The formula has you measure beginning at your hipbone, assuming that is where the skirt will be slung.

To mitigate these variables, I wore flats in all three photos and wore ninja black to distract from the waist of the skirt. I do agree that above the knee looks best on me, but knee-length should also be okay with heels. A brief look into my skirt history...


Above the knee 
(17.5" H&M on left, 14" H&M on right)

At the knee 
(20" Theory on left, 21" Ann Taylor Petites on right)

Hope this wordy post wasn't too boring. For those who actually did the "formula"... do you have short calves or long calves? Where do you prefer your skirt lengths to hit?

No comments:

Post a Comment