Friday, May 21, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Hometown

I'm from Billerica, Massachusetts. Where the "mall" is a mostly empty plaza with a Kmart and Burlington Coat Factory. There is a Dunkin Donuts on mostly every corner (we have six!) We have three grocery stores on one road (the town is only 25 square miles!) We have 6 elementary schools, two middle schools, a high school AND a vocational high school. Phew, all that in one tiny little place!

Billerica actually has a really cool history. Asa Pollard, the first soldier killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill was from Billerica. Thomas Ditson, who was tarred and feathered by the British was also a Billerica native...he is also the reason why Yankee Doodle became a term of pride. Billerica celebrates the Yankee Doodle Festival in the fall!

Famous Billerica residents? Oh, I'm sure you have heard of atleast a few of these people! Gary DiSarcina, former professional baseball player. Tom Glavine, professional baseball player. And who could forget this goon from Real World: Austin.....Danny Jamieson (who apparently married Melinda, have a baby, and live in New Hampshire...or so says the Billerica rumor mill.)


What's my favorite part of Billerica? My entire family lives there. Growing up my grandparents lived next door to each other, my aunt live up the hill, and my great-grandmother only a stone's throw away...and all within walking distance of my house. Seriously, I miss the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment