Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Designer styles in the little girl's department

Over the past few seasons, I've noticed more and more designers expanding into children's collections. Phillip Lim, Chloe, and Marc Jacobs are just a few examples of labels you can find at Saks kids. Aside from the lower price tag, these miniature renditions may also fit tiny petites better.

Womens: Burberry Prorsum S/S 2010 knotted skirt trench, $3,495.
I fell in love with this, and apparently other women did too because it sold out quickly.
Kids: Prorsum kids knotted skirt trench
Still outside my budget for a trench, but this costs one-third the adult price for a very similar style. I believe sizing on kids trenches goes up to a 12; call the NYC Burb store for the best kids selection.

Here is another Burberry - the lovely ruched epaulette trench modeled by Emma Watson. Click here for the kiddie version. Sigh, lucky little girls...
Read on for more children's finds.

Shoes are another big category where designers are doing the "mother and daughter" versions. I've seen ballet slippers for kids from Repetto, Prada, Dior and Burberry, although most sizes only go up to a kids 2 or 3. Tod's Kids on the other hand goes up to European sz 35, which is a womens size 5.


Womens: Tods 2-toned flats, $425
Kids: Tod's 2-toned flats, on sale for $144

Tory Burch was a little more business-saavy (darn her!), and only offers her children's Revas up to a kids sz 3. I wear a 5.5 in most shoes, but sized down to a womens 5 in Revas. I tried on a pair of kids sz 3s recently and found them to be half to one size too small for me. I think ladies who wear sz 4.5 - 5 womens would have no problem with the kids 3's, especially since the leather ones stretch with wear. The logo medallion is also smaller on the kids shoe, which I really liked. Sometimes I find the big medal logo a bit obnoxious.


Dolce Vita is a shoe brand that has been mentioned by several bloggers lately. We all seem to echo the complaint that their womens shoes only start at sz 6. Fortunately, they make kiddie sandals in very similar designs, going all the way up to a girls sz 4. Some of my finds...

Womens: DV "Saint' sandal, $70
Kids: DV "Hannah" sandal, $60.

Kids: DV "bubbles" sandal, $30. 

Here's one last childrens' shoe pick, just for kicks. I actually really love this low sandal (I'm big on comfortable, low wedges) and can see myself wearing it with sundresses for strolling:

Readers - anyone else guilty of browsing the kids department? I'd love to hear about any good finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment