Sunday, May 23, 2010

Guest Blogger - The Somarribas

Hey everyone, I'm a newlywed::Navy wife::animal lover::New Englander::movie-aficionado::aspiring chef::crafter::new blogger and I'm so excited as this is my first guest appearance on a blog! Thank you A Marine's Wife for having me.


I just need to get this off my chest. In the past week I have left a great job that enjoyed, went to the ER with a ruptured ovarian cyst, left our puppy (for the first time) in New Hampshire with relatives for ten days, drove from Maine to Texas in three days, noticed that the passenger-side door of my 2010 Jetta is coming off (for no apparent reason), had a very sick cat (Little Jerry Seinfeld) who has to be put down next week (after a very expensive attempt to save him), and moved into our first house. Oh, and we're flying back to Boston next week for our 'formal' wedding on the 5th. After that we are driving back to Texas, this time with my husband's truck and the pup.


I think this is the first time in my life that I have had bags under my eyes. Seriously.


None of my life experiences thus far have felt so heavy, so overwhelming. This makes my senior thesis feel like child's play. I feel like my mind is being torn in a million directions: don't forget to call the florist; schedule that last hair appointment; email the photographer; figure where the pharmacy is on the new base; remember which box I packed my underwear in; check on the kitty; call mom, drink plenty of water; go to Target, buy a vacuum; call Volkswagen, schedule maintenance; text Auntie, check in on the pup; make a packing list for the wedding/'honeymoon' road trip; find everything that we need to pack; rinse, lather, repeat. My body just can't keep up with my mind. I'm aware of all those things I want and have to do, but I'm not sure what time or day it is or why I'm so tired.


Is the first PCS like this for everyone? I've heard rumors that all hell seems to break loose around that time. Do you find this to be true? I don't think we will ever do a DITY move again. Between the hubs having to load up the truck all by himself while I rested from my trip to the ER, and then the AC crapping out as soon as we hit the Mason-Dixon line; we've had enough.


One good thing about this PCS is that we are now stationed at a fully-functioning base. The last base we were at was closing and it was very odd. It felt like a ghost town, there were very few people, no traffic, empty buildings, unused air strips, and a half-empty Exchange. Now, we are at a base that currently has $2 billion worth of construction going on as it is becoming a tri-service location for military medicine. There is a GIANT Commisary, the PX has a Coach store in it, there's a spa, a UPS store, and a PXtra which has furniture/garden supplies/bikes/large appliances/etc. The fitness center is amazing, they have free spin classes and a pool. These might seem standard to many of you, but to us, well you'd think we're in Disney Land.


So at least there is a bright side to things. I was talking to my aunt on the phone about all the 'bad luck' we've been having and I said, "It's OK, it must mean that some really good things coming our way."


"Yes," she replied, "you're getting married!"


Oh yeah, I almost forgot that! I know it's going to be an amazing time. I can't wait to have our families together, to see his face when he sees me in my dress, to dance the night away, and smile so much my cheeks hurt.


I started blogging and tweeting when I discovered the amazingly supportive network of military spouses out there. I believe that this community is a diamond in the rough. I look forward to sharing stories, lessons and laughs.


::best::

No comments:

Post a Comment